|10 Signs That Life Is Good
January 29, 2012: Ten Signs That Life Is Good
All of these came from this week.
1) Mitch Daniels gave a tempered Republican response to President Obama's State of the Union Address. For once, we get politics that aren't about extremes and attacks.
2) Facing a personal meltdown trying to get my son's X-box Live set up, I actually receive a X-box representative on the phone within a minute, who gives me old-fashioned personal and delightful service. I really wish I had jotted her name down.
3) I carry one mortgage again.
4) Last week (January 23, to be exact) was National Reading Day. I finished a marvelous memoir by Danny Goldberg about his career within the music business: Bumping Into Genuises. Loved the chapter on signing Warren Zevon to his final record deal.
5) Speaking of Zevon, I had a "Lawyers, Guns and Money" reference come out of nowhere at work, and it wasn't in relation to a potential lawsuit!
6) While this was announced in December, I didn't learn of it until last week, but MIT has launched an online learning initiative with "online tools freely available." I'll repeat what I have said before in many other places, online education is here and it is the innovative institutions that will develop a strategic plan for online learning that will thrive.
7) At the risk of revealing too much nerdiness or geekness, I discovered this week the joys of online gaming with my two (pretty much) lifelong friends. I'm sure our wives are already lamenting this online initiative.
8) Jerry Garcia ties were $6 at J.C. Penney this week. Poor Jerry. Happy David.
9) Volunteers in Cape Cod helped save 35 beached dolphins. It seems like such a small number, especially when it sounds like about 50 died, but to me the dolphin always symbolizes something more about humanity: their playfulness, their intelligence, their grace.
10) Now that my son has x-box live (see #2 above), I don't have to fight for computer time anymore. Of course, I have to hear the constant jabbering and screaming from the other room, but there is only SO MUCH good stuff that could happen this week.